Friday 8 February 2013

Drawing Restraint - Influence

After a few tutorials this week I have been given many directions to take and artists to look at. I have chosen to look at Matthew Barney first. He created photos and videos from restraining himself whilst trying to make a drawing. The purpose of him doing this was to create resistance in his muscles, breaking them down, letting them heal, therefore making them stronger.



I have experimented with this technique, using materials etc that I have in my own home, however, I am creating work for a different purpose. Restraining myself, or not being able to do something easily frustrates me, and I wanted to create this experience for the viewer. I attached paper to the ceiling of my bedroom (which I cannot reach without step ladders) and photographed myself attempting to make marks on the paper with various materials by jumping and stretching. I experimented with camera effects in order to capture movement within the images. I feel this experiment was a success, however, I feel that I could push this idea further.












No comments:

Post a Comment